Disability benefits can be awarded to you at any level of the claims processing system. You can get benefits with a favorable disability decision from a claims worker who reviews your initial application, a disability specialist at the state DDS agency who reconsiders your application at a state disability reviewing agency, an administrative law judge, a judge on the Appeals Council who reviews the ALJ decision, or even a judge or a magistrate in a federal court. The sooner a favorable decision is made at one of these levels, the sooner you receive your benefits.
For more information, Click on the level where your claim is being processed.
- Initial Decision, made either at your local District Office, or the at the Disability Determination Service for Massachusetts at 22 Front Street, P.O. Box 8009, Worcester, MA 01614 and for Connecticut: at 309 Warwarme Avenue, Hartford, CT 06114
- Reconsideration (decided by the Massachusetts or Connecticut Disability Determination Service)
- Administrative Law Judge (who hears your case during a hearing in Springfield or Hartford)
- Appeals Council (in Falls Church, Virginia)
- Federal Court (Springfield, Boston or Hartford, depending on where you live)